April 03 2020 Friday at 01:01 PM


This is it, the end of the Postie dreams. In the hours I'd put into the bike so far I'd just finished the basic mock up of the bike (minus a few bit and bobs), so the final two days was all about wiring… And oh how I hate wiring, especially when you have to try make two different looms work as one. However with plenty of encouragement from my friend Jeremy (plus a few endearing insults) I was determined to get it done myself.

After many hours (and a dictionary worth of curse words vented in frustration), I managed to get the lights, ignition, indicators, horn, brake light, speedo - and most importantly the coil all working! We have spark! Happy days.

Next was to see if the thing even runs. So I cleaned all the stale fuel and soot out of the carby and fuel tank, threw some fresh fuel in and began to kick it over. Surprisingly it fired up quicker than expected, and with fuel pouring out of the float bowl I quickly realised I had forgotten to put a kill switch on the big girl and had no way to turn it off! So I clicked it up to 3rd, dropped the clutch and stalled it, that’s a good enough kill switch right?

I then cleaned up all the wiring by re-routing, wrapping and hiding it where possible.

Then I was left with just the final cosmetic touches. I found some old leather/suede scrap in the workshop and an old product label from a sample pair of Deus pants and took the seat to the trimmer. There I requested they cut about 1 1/2 inches off the top of the seat, wrap it in suede and stitch the label onto the back. I would have liked to have done the seat myself, but with the event being the following day I was far from having enough time to try. The seat returned a couple of hours later and thankfully looked great.

I stole a frame cover from another staff member’s sister’s postie, modified it a bit to fit around the inlet manifold and carburettor then attached it to the frame. Next I bolted the side battery cover on and inspected my handiwork. Finally time for a test ride!

I waited for the traffic to die down and the tradies across the road to finish smoko and head to the pub for a few coldies, then wheeled it out and started her up. At first you would have assumed I was riding a 2 stroke with the amount of smoke pouring from the exhaust, but it soon cleared and before you knew it I was popping wheelies up and down the road. I couldn't wipe the smile off my face.

In true Bike Build Off fashion it was 5:30pm on the night before the event at this point, so a quick test ride was all I got before my Postie was loaded into the van to be driven down to the Bondi Pavilion event site.

All in all, I'm stoked with how the bike turned out. Although it doesn’t look too far from a stock postie with a recovered seat and some timber finishings, knowing the work that went into it and seeing the transformation from what I started with made me very happy.